UF Health Shands & PepsiCo™ Sustainability Grant
Car Charging Outlets
Name: John Rukstalis, UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital pharmacist
Facility: UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital
Project Summary: Car charging outlets
Project description: UF Health could establish itself as the hospital of the future by promoting the use of electric cars, while simultaneously becoming a leader in reducing transportation emissions. With every electric car produced, the demand for charging stations increases. We could provide extra car charging outlets across UF Health’s campus to encourage the use of electric cars.
Operation Reusable Cup
Name: Joshua Hodges, UF Health Shands Hospital Nursing Informatics specialist
Department: Nursing Informatics
Facility: UF Health Shands Hospital
Project Summary: Refillable cups
Project description: By using one of your own cups or a Think Green cup, faculty, staff, students, volunteers, patients and visitors can purchase drinks at a reduced rate in our food service areas when using a reusable cup. This would result in paper cup consumption to decrease. Using a refillable cup, total paper cup usage goes down, and might even see drink purchases go up.
Recycle Empty Plastic Stock Pill Bottles
Name: Marilyn Ryan, UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital pharmacy technician, and Betsy Dodd, Jim Friske and Bill Garst, UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital pharmacists
Department: Inpatient Pharmacy
Facility: UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital
Project Summary: Recycle empty plastic stock pill bottles
Project description: Hospitals can significantly reduce waste by combining waste prevention with a comprehensive recycling effort. Highly generated recyclable materials in hospitals are plastics. In our inpatient pharmacy setting, we remove tablets from the 100ct and 500ct manufacturer plastic bottles to prepack into unit dose packs for patient use. In our outpatient pharmacies, many more bottles are emptied into patient prescription bottles or into the dispensing robots for use. All these empty stock bottles could be put in a separate plastics bin for recycling. Now they are thrown in the trash.
Save the Trees
Name: Christine Morgan and Debi Jones, UF Health Shands Rehab Center physical therapists
Department: UF Health Shands Rehab Center
Facility: UF Health Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Institute
Project Summary: Decrease paper use
Project description: In the physical therapy setting, we often have two to three patients present at any given time. Currently to keep track, we have to print out the patients’ charts while they are here, resulting in up to seven pages printed per patient, with an average caseload of 11 to 18 patients per day. This can lead to 22-126 pages of printed-paper per therapist per day. With 19 therapists, this can lead to 400-2,400 pages that are destroyed every day. Because it is patient care information, it cannot simply be recycled and there are additional costs for the appropriate and confidential recycling of protected information. We propose that therapy providers are allowed to open two to three patient charts at a time. This way we do not have to print out each patient chart every day, allowing us to have an extra place to recycle paper printouts that do not contain patient information and decrease the thousands of pages printed daily that must be destroyed.
CAST YOUR VOTE
*Voters are limited to one (1) vote per IP address in a 24 hour period. Any additional votes will be discarded.
“Think Green” Campaign to benefit UF Health Shands
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. CONTEST OPEN TO LEGAL US RESIDENTS WHO ARE CURRENTLY EMPLOYED BY UF Health Shands (SHANDS TEACHING HOSPITAL AND CLINICS, INC.) AND WHO ARE 18 YEARS OR OLDER AT TIME OF ENTRY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. SUBMISSION DEADLINE IS 07/21/2017. VOTING DEADLINE IS 08/25/2017.
- HOW TO SUBMIT AN IDEA: Write an essay consisting of between one hundred fifty (150) and five hundred (500) words (an “Essay”) that describes an idea to promote sustainability practices at UF Health Shands (the “Contest”). Submissions may be made by an individual UF Health Shands employee or a group of up to five UF Health Shands employees. Entries must include the name, title, department, facility, email, phone number and supervisor’s name of each UF Health Shands employee submitting the Essay. Entries must be submitted online at com (the “Think Green” site) by 11:59 pm ET on 07/21/2017. Submissions become the property of UF Health Shands and will not be individually acknowledged or returned.
- JUDGING: There will be two judging phases. In the first phase, a panel of judges comprised of representatives from Pepsi Beverages Company, UF Health Shands and The University of Florida Office of Sustainability will review ideas from the UF Health Shands employee submissions and select three to five finalist ideas to move to phase 2 judging. Finalist ideas will be selected by first phase judges between 07/24/2017 and 08/04/2017. Finalist ideas will be those entries that the first phase judges, in their sole and absolute discretion, deem to best meet the following weighted judging criteria: (40%) content focused on why the designated idea needs to be executed and how it will be effective and (60%) on the feasibility of conducting the project to benefit UF Health Shands. The method of judging the entries will be determined by the first phase judges and may include the use of multiple panels of judges to review phase one entries. The decisions of the judges shall be final in all respects. The second phase of judging will take place from 12:01 am EST on 08/14/2017 until 12:00 pm EST on 08/25/2017 (“Voting Period”) via the campaign website by a judging panel comprised solely of the voting public. The voting opportunity will be promoted to UF Health faculty, residents, staff and students and to UF Health Shands employees and volunteers via UF Health internal communications tools in addition to the public via UF Health’s social media accounts. Prize winners will be announced around 08/28/2017 and 09/08/2017.
- HERE’S HOW TO VOTE: Voting on Stage 2 Finalists begins at 12:01 am ET on 08/14/2017 and ends at 12:00 pm EST on 08/25/2017 to enable UF Health internal audiences and the public to vote for the one (1) idea they would like to see executed at UF Health Shands. Finalists will be announced around 08/28/2017-09/08/2017.
- PRIZE: One (1) prize will be awarded. If the winning entrant is an individual, he or she will receive one (1) Apple Watch and one (1) $500 gift card Card. ERV: $769.
If the winning entrant is a group, each member of the team will receive one (1) Apple Watch and the $500 prize will be equally distributed among team members. ERV: $769.
Each runner-up finalist will be rewarded a $100 Visa gift card.
All prizes are treated as taxable income
If Sponsor determines, in their sole and absolute discretion, that the Prize recipient has misused the Gift, Sponsor will request an immediate return of the Gift funding (or a portion thereof) and may also report to the IRS the amount of funds provided to the recipient and the IRS may deem those funds as taxable income to the recipient.
- GRANT OF RIGHTS: By participation in this Contest, all potential winners agree to fully transfer all right, title and interest to the submitted application to Sponsor without compensation (including but not limited to publicity rights and copyrights). No royalties, copyright fees, license fees, talent fees, or any other compensation will be paid for any reason relating to any aspect or part of the submitted idea, even if reproduced, distributed, and/or sold by Sponsor or the University of Florida. Sponsor, UF Health Shands, or the University of Florida shall have the right to use any aspect or part of the idea, including the organizations name, likeness and image in any media, for any commercial or marketing purposes without additional compensation, in perpetuity.
- ELIGIBILITY: Contest is only open to legal US residents who are currently employed by Shands Teaching Hospital and Clinics, Inc. in Gainesville, FL, and who are 18 years or older at time of entry. Employees of The University Athletic Association, Inc., Pepsi Beverages Company, PepsiCo, Inc., Pepsi-Cola Company and each of their respective parent companies, divisions, affiliates, bottlers, subsidiaries, distributors, suppliers and advertising, promotional or judging agencies and immediate family members or persons living in the same household of such employees are not eligible to enter or win. Each Prize recipient or an authorized representative of each Prize recipient (if an organization) will be required to sign all legal prize acceptance documents and assume all responsibilities of the prize winners.
- LIABILITY LIMITATIONS: Sponsor and Promotional Partners are not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, or non-delivered entries/votes or for interrupted or unavailable satellite, network, server, or telephone availability or other connections, availability or accessibility, or miscommunications, or failed satellite, telephone or cable transmissions, or lines, or technical failure or jumbled, corrupted, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions or text message malfunctions, failures, or technical errors or difficulties, or other errors of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic or network or the incorrect or inaccurate capture of votes, or other information or the failure to capture, or loss of, any such information. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of this Contest, as solely determined by Sponsor, will be disqualified. Sponsor and Promotional Partners are not responsible for injury or damage to Participants’ or to any other person’s cellular phone related to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading or receiving materials from or use of the cellular phone. Should any portion of the Contest be, in Sponsor’s sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, technical failures or other causes which, in the sole opinion of Sponsor, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper participation, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest, and select the winners based on Phase One judging alone. Sponsor and Promotional Partners are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; and assume no responsibility for any error, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation, or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction.
- WINNER NOTIFICATION: All potential winners will be notified by phone and/or mail within seven (7) days of the final voting. All prizes must be claimed within fourteen (14) days of date of attempted notification by having an authorized representative of the Prize recipient sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and/or Prize Agreement. In the event (i) the required documents are not returned within fourteen (14) days (ii) mail is returned as undeliverable mail without a forwarding address or (iii) a telephone notification is not confirmed to Sponsor within seventy-two (72) hours, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner may be selected from among all remaining entries.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS: No substitution of prize is offered, no transfer of prize to a third party is permitted and non-cash prizes may not be redeemed for cash value. If any prize or any aspect thereof is unavailable for any reason, the Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion, to substitute another prize or cash of approximate equal value, as determined by Sponsor. Prizes will only be delivered to addresses in and around Gainesville, FL. Allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery of the prize following the notification process. Void wherever prohibited or restricted by law. There may be some tax implications for Prize Recipient. Sponsor recommends that Participants review their Application with their legal/tax advisor to determine their potential tax liability, if any, in connection with receiving a Prize as part of this Contest. If there is any tax liability, it will be solely the responsibility of Prize Recipient. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. No groups, newsletter, clubs or organizations may reproduce or distribute any portion of these Official Rules to its members. All persons, by participating in this contest and submitting an application agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor and the Judges whose decisions in all aspects of this promotion shall be final and binding.
- TERMINATION: Submission period starts on 07/10/2017 and essays must be submitted by 07/21/2017. Public voting commences on or about 08/14/2017 and voting is scheduled to end on 08/25/2017.
- RELEASES: All Winners and Prize Recipients, by acceptance of a prize, agree to release The University of Florida, The University Athletic Association, Inc., PepsiCo, Inc., Pepsi-Cola Company, Pepsi Beverages Company, and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, divisions, affiliates, bottlers, suppliers, distributors and advertising, promotional or judging agencies, and all employees, officers and directors of each from any and all liability, claims or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages or losses of any kind to persons and property which may be sustained in connection with the receipt, ownership or use of any prize or while traveling to, preparing for and/or participating in any prize-related activity. Any portion of a prize not accepted by winner shall be forfeited. Sponsor makes no representations or warranties of any kind concerning the appearance, performance or safety of any prize awarded. The Prize Recipient shall bear all risk of loss or damage to prize after it has been delivered. Except where prohibited by law, Winner, Winner’s parent or legal guardian and/or Prize recipient must consent to the use of their names, voices, pictures or other likenesses without compensation for commercial or promotional purposes in all media as determined by Sponsor.
- WINNERS’ LIST: For a list of the Prize winners, send a self-addressed, stamped, business-sized envelope before 8/21/2017 to: PepsiCo Think Green contest, c/o Pepsi Beverages Company, 7380 Sand Lake Rd., Suite 230, Orlando, FL 32819.
- SPONSOR: Pepsi Beverages Company, 7380 Sand Lake Rd., Suite 230, Orlando, FL 32819.
PEPSI and the Pepsi Globe are registered trademarks of PepsiCo, Inc.